* Graphic and Picture Track (Blu-Ray Exclusive)
* "E.M. Forster: Profile of an Author"
* "An Epic Takes Shape"
* "An Indian Affair"
* "Only Connect: A Vision of India"
* "Casting a Classic"
* "David Lean: Shooting with the Master"
* Reflections Of David Lean
* Commentary with Producer Richard Goodwin
Culver City, Calif. (January 28, 2008) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases the two-time Oscar®-winning* adventure drama A Passage to India as a collector’s edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc™ on March 15, 2008 for the SRP of $24.96 (DVD) and $28.95 (BD). Releasing in time to celebrate director David Lean’s centenary, A Passage to India stars Peggy Ashcroft (TV’s “The Jewel in the Crown”Wink in the Oscar-winning lead role, Golden Globe® winner Judy Davis (Marie Antoinette), Victor Banerjee (It Was Raining That Night, Bhoot) and Oscar® winner Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia). Directed by the legendary David Lean (Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia) and based on E.M. Forster’s classic novel, this moving drama brings into focus the hidden racism that lurks behind tourists and locals alike. DVD special features on A Passage to India include Commentary with Producer Richard Goodwin, “E.M. Forster: A Profile of an Author,” “An Epic Takes Shape,” “An Indian Affair,” “Only Connect: A Vision of India,” “Casting a Classic,” “David Lean: Shooting with the Master,” “Reflections of David Lean” and, available exclusively on the Blu-ray Disc™ release, an enhanced graphics gallery and a trivia track.
*A Passage to India won two Oscars® for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Peggy Ashcroft) and Best Musical Score (Maurice Jarre). The film also received an additional nine nominations for Best Actress, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Picture, Best Sound and Best Screenplay From Another Medium.
Synopsis: A Passage to India
Adela Quested (Davis) journeys to India with Mrs. Moore (Ashcroft), her future mother-in-law, to visit her husband who is a magistrate in a small town. The young Englishwoman is warned by the British community not to mingle with the natives and to keep them at arm’s length. However, her desire to experience the “real” India urges her to seek out Dr. Aziz H. Ahmed (Banerjee), a young local doctor who is proficient in English and had been raised in a British household. Dr. Ahmed accompanies the two women on a tour of the well-known caverns in the area. However, something happens in the dark cave passageways that has Adela crying foul play. Dr. Ahmed is brought before the British courts, which are itching to deliver a guilty sentence and make him an example for all other “rebellious” natives. The young Indian battles the English system, which deems all defendants “guilty until proven innocent,” and becomes caught up in a case that threatens all civility in the region and examines the validity of memory under pressure and insinuation.
A Passage to India has a run time of approximately 163 minutes and is rated PG. Artwork is available at http://www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at http://www.SonyPictures.com
Special Features Include:
· Commentary with Producer Richard Goodwin
· “E.M. Forster: A Profile of an Author” - Elements of Forster's life and some of the main themes within the book are covered in this featurette.
· “An Epic Takes Shape” - Cast & Crew talk about the genesis of the project.
· “An Indian Affair” - Covers the main period of production over in India.
· “Only Connect: A Vision of India” - Covers the whole area of Post Production and also includes the final days of shooting in the studios at Shepperton.
· “Casting a Classic” - Priscilla John (Casting Director) talks about casting the film and the challenges of bringing characters from the book to life.
· “David Lean: Shooting with the Master” - This featurette takes a look at Lean as a Director with emphasis on this film being the last of his career.
· "Reflections of David Lean" - A featurette on David Lean that appeared on the last DVD release of the film.
· Blu-ray Exclusive: Enhanced Graphics and Trivia Track